The professional organisations within the network share a commitment to a number of common principles:
- Professional organisations will seek to maximise their members' awareness of and competence in managing diversity issues appropriate to their disciplines.
- Effective diversity monitoring by organisations is necessary to inform work towards and progress on improving diversity.
- Professional organisational leaders and staff need to be aware of the implications of diversity in their membership, and to continuously improve their practice in managing diversity.
- Professional bodies should work to understand and, where possible, address low diversity in recruitment and retention of members.
- Professional organisations should look to maximise, as far as is practicable, their potential to contribute to equality of opportunity and inclusion for all under-represented groups in the UK.
The network produces a regularly updated report (see Related documents) describing their activity in relation to these principles. There are overlaps between the different strands of work. Read on to see activity of the EP members on:
Member awareness | Monitoring | Recruitment and retention | Public good | Staff development