This briefing supports Amendments 217 and 218A to Schedule 7, Amendment 216ZC introducing a New Clause, Amendment 230 to Clause 37 and Schedule 8, and the Motion that Clause 37 should not stand part of the Bill.
The Commission recognises the legitimate aim of immigration policy to ensure that persons who have no legal right to remain in the UK return to their home country. However, we raise concerns about:
- the length of immigration detention,
- the impact of detention on certain vulnerable groups,
- arrangements for bail hearings,
- the withdrawal of support for failed asylum seekers with children, and
- the removal of the right of appeal against decisions to withdraw that support.
Read the full Immigration Bill House of Lords Committee Stage briefing.
Last updated: 22 Apr 2016