The working group
We are a member of the European Network of National Human Rights Institutions' working group on the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD).
The group supports international co-operation in the promotion, implementation and monitoring of the Convention. The objectives of the Working Group are to:
- act as a central contact on disability rights for regional and international bodies and institutions involved in CRPD issues
- identify and promote good practice on the role of National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs) in promoting, implementing and monitoring the CRPD
- co-ordinate the involvement of European NHRIs in CRPD-related events
- influence the interpretation and implementation of the CRPD:
- in each Working Group member’s own country
- by the CRPD Committee, and
- at the European Court of Human Rights and European Court of Justice
- promote the use of the CRPD Optional Protocol (an additional agreement to the CRPD that allows individuals, groups or organisations to submit a complaint to the CRPD Committee)
- help the European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights in any role related to the European Union’s obligations under the CRPD
- promote ratification and implementation of CRPD throughout Europe and by the European Union.
Last updated: 27 Aug 2019