Contacting us about a legal issue

Published: 3 March 2020

Last updated: 3 March 2020

What countries does this apply to?

  • England
  • Scotland
  • Wales

If you want to ask us for assistance with an issue, then how you do this depends on who you are.

Help for individuals

Individuals who wish to have their issue assessed should call the Equality Advisory Support Service (EASS).

The EASS receives calls from individuals and works with advice agencies and other organisations who make referrals to it.

It provides information, assistance and support (but not legal advice or representation) to individuals across England, Scotland and Wales about discrimination and human rights issues and the law.

If the EASS view the facts as being of interest to us, they will refer the matter to us for further scoping. We will then decide whether to offer support. The EASS could, alternatively, refer you to another agency who might be better placed to help you.

It is important to contact the EASS as soon as you feel you might have an issue, as it will take time to decide if you have a legal issue of interest. As courts and tribunals have strict time limits, any delay could have serious consequences.

Page updates

Related pages on this site

Advice and support

If you think you might have been treated unfairly and want further advice, you can contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).

The EASS is an independent advice service, not operated by the Equality and Human Rights Commission.

Phone: 0808 800 0082

Or email using the contact form on the EASS website.
phone icon

Call the EASS on:

0808 800 0082